Skip to main content

SUEDE Live Review Melody Maker 1996

SUEDE

ROYAL COURT
LIVERPOOL 
Melody Maker, 7th December 1996


STARSPOTTING. Robbie Fowler. Good. Hollyoaks cast. Bad. After the gig, back at the hotel, I get in the lift. Brett Anderson's pressing the button for the fifth floor. God, he's lush, I think. But then I remember the gig. And the thrill has gone.

It's like meeting the best f*** of your life, two years on, and wondering how you even stayed awake. There was a time, of course, when Suede were a sex fantasy and soundtrack rolled into one. An alternative lifestyle. They made me varnish my nails, buy a good suit, kiss and tell, trust romance. Tonight, I feel embarrassed by that. Wondering if I read too much into them (YOU NEVER CAN), if they were worth it. They were, but it clearly means nothing to them now.

Brett once had ideas about Pop Stardom — the responsibility, the limits, the freedom. Now he wants to be in Just Another Band. One of the lads. Liverpool gets a stage show with a script we've seen too many times (that cocked arse gives us nothing but FAMILIARITY), underscored by the most bogstandard performance you never thought them capable of. For a band whose best moments always came in the spaces between nuances, the sumptuous DETAIL of their sound, tonight's gig is a distressingly shabby barrage of blare and treble. All you can hear is Brett's voice, Simon's drums and Oakes' overstated, overwrought guitar. Neil's keyboards might as well be at the bottom of the Mersey, Mat Osman's bass doesn't reveal itself all night. And, God, they're in such a f***in' RUSH.

The songs from Coming Up may simply not measure up to the older stuff, but they're never even given a chance. 'Trash' gets kicked about early, far too fast and sloppy for its gorgeous hooks to get any purchase; 'Filmstar' and 'Lazy' are just too damn ugly to be prettified by anyone; 'Saturday Night', perhaps one of their finest moments, becomes a grisly Quireboys flop tonight, 'Star Crazy' just a mess, Brett's stageplay finding nowhere new to throw itself, becoming the repetitive creaking motions of a performer somehow terrified of spontaneity.


Of the older songs, only 'Animal Nitrate' ignites, its vicious lunges and strange leaps intact and never sharper. 'The Wild Ones' loses its necessary subtlety in a messy sea of fuzz, while 'So Young' sounds so OLD (and already, it seems this song will becomes Suede's 'My Generation', a record that will haunt them forever with an ever-increasing incongruity). It's all quite startlingly ordinary.

They close with 'Beautiful Ones', and you're struck by how much things have changed. How much they HAD to change, you realise. Suede's difference, the alien-ness that made them so vital once, so unique, would never be accepted by the indie consensus in '96, which has never been more conformist, never more narrow-minded.

With the Oasis/Blur war narrowing the goalposts so hugely since Suede last stepped out Brett knew there was no way to return successfully without playing to those blinkered souls, no way to keep going without first jettisoning virtually everything that had set them apart, and then jumping into the pit. Which means that Suede are now just another indie rock band, another beery doss. Shed Seven with better cheekbones, Kula Shaker with a five-years-younger template. Sleeper with smaller hits. A success story, but less a comeback than a RETREAT.

As I leave, before the encore, my eyes are stinging, my throat choked with near fury, I take one last look back and clock the crowd. I see no strangers, no aliens, nobody who needs them; I see beered-up people JUST LIKE ME. They're welcome to it. Suede were all right tonight. And that's not nearly enough.

© Neil Kulkarni, 1996

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A POP DAYDREAM PART I: THINNING THE HERD.

This was my dream. And it was so vivid it really happened. 
I hired a van. The expense was a concern but I needed the capacity. First the long drive north to Middlesborough. I knew he'd be at home, visiting relatives. Made sure my HeadBag was packed. Blindfolds and ballgags. Rope. Some starved, stroppy badgers. Maxi-pack of chloroform-seeped bogroll from Costco. Masking tape. As I eased onto the M1 I told myself again the story of how it was developed from the need for waterproof ammunition casings in WWII. I had to, I was bored, and it's a long schlep up to 'boro. Idly, after securing a mortgage for a bacon roll at Tibshelf, I had an argument with my other personality about whether Middlesborough was in North Yorkshire, County Durham or Teeside. 
Nothing got resolved. A plain-clothes officer pulled me off in the hardshoulder near Malton and issued stern words about punching myself while driving. No hilarity did ensue. I needed to focus. This was a serious business. By noo…

MANIC STREET PREACHERS, ASTORIA, LONDON, 1994, LIVE REVIEW, MELODY MAKER

(photo by Pat Pope, full text)  MANIC STREET PREACHERS  ASTORIA, LONDON  SORRY, lifelong fan, but I’m a new convert. I got into them a week ago and here I am. (They start with “Faster and, after the dub and horrorcore they’ve played, it jarrs and fits perfectly.) OK, see it ain’t attitude cos anyone can do that, just cock a snook and suck your cheeks. It ain’t glamour. Glamour is boring. Glamour is loud pretty people who hug, hug, hug, giggling at your geek self all night. And it ain’t rock’n’roll; it was your rock’n’roll that made a nigger-hater the King, your teddy boys who Paki-bashed for Mosley, Notting Hill 1958, your rock’#n’roll build on SAMBO DON’T SELL. I ain’t interested and the Manics are way beyond that. (“Yes” is Stjepan Mestrovic’s “Balkanisation Of The West” turned punk anthem, as if it could be any more punk. No higher compliment exists.)    The four founding points of Manics songs – one: modern life is untenable. Two: no one ever gets used to loneliness. Three: if tr…

BRITAIN SEE THYSELF PART II. A POST-REFERENDUM DIARY AND A HISTORY OF BRITISH SELF-PITY

Tuesday June 28th, 2016.

OK, a week since the vote and hey, I know the drill. Similar to those habits you kicked back into after 9-11, after 7-7. Heads down. Don't notice the people crossing the road to avoid you. Don't register any reaction to the shop assistants who drop the change with a panic'd repulsion into your foul brown palm. Keep your eyes down, no eye-contact with anyone. Get through the street to safety because the street is a place where you are a target again now, just as you were as a child. Don't ever ever relax again because that moment where your vigilance slips, when you start doubting your own paranoia, is the moment when the van draws up and three pink faces look your way grinning, when the kids see their chance to have some fun, when the guy on his bike who you hadn't thought of leans into the pavement to spit his venom, when the words will come unbidden and deafening, those words that won't just fuck up your day but will haunt your sleep, …